Sunday, May 4, 2014

Other 1968 Yankee Profiles

STEVE HAMILTON
"The lanky (6 foot 7), left-handed Kentuckian is often brought in to teach a lesson to unruly left-handed hitters. Prematurely gray and looking a college dean (in the off-season he's an instructor at Morehead State University, Kentucky), he commands attention. And when he winds up, class is underway.
This is the sixth straight season in Yankee pinstripes for the former pro cage star of the old Minneapolis Lakers. Hamilton was acquired from the Senators in '63 and has been effective as both a short relief and long relief man as well as a starter when needed. He has compiled a 25-11 W-L record as a Yankee, with an ERA of 3.08.
Steve is the Yankees' player representative. For this important job, the players pick the man for whom they have high regard. Intelligent, personable, a man with a wonderful sense of humor, Steve serves the Yankees on and off the field. And he's a wonderful family man with two girls, Stephanie (9) and Elizabeth (7), and a son Robert (4).
During the off-season, Hamilton teaches at Morehead State where he's working for his Ph.D."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"1968 will be the sixth straight season in Yankee pinstripes for this former pro basketball player. Acquired him from the Senators on April 21, 1963 in exchange for pitcher Jim Coates, Steve has served the Yankees well both on and off the field. He has been used effectively as a short relief man, long relief man and as a starter when needed, and has compiled a record of 25-9 with New York.
Steve, who graduated from Morehead State where he received his Master's degree and is employed as an instructor during the off-season, has served as the Yankees' player representative for the past two years. He once played basketball for the NBA Minneapolis Lakers."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide

DICK HOWSER
"The Yankees' top utility infielder of '67, filling in at second, third and short, was himself a casualty of an injury-plagued season for the club. Before he fractured his right forearm on July 16, Dick did a great job wherever he was needed. He swings a good bat; he hit .313 during the eight games he subbed for Clarke. Filling in for Charley Smith at third, he hit .305 in a 12-game stretch. Although he was out for almost the remainder of the year, Dick had a .268 average.
Howser broke into the majors with the Kansas City Athletics in 1961. That year he hit .280, led the league with 37 stolen bases, was named A.L. Rookie of the Year, led the league's shortstops with 299 putouts, and was named to the All-Star team. Injuries in the following years kept him from equaling his freshman record, but in 1964 he set an American League record for the most games played at shortstop - 162, the maximum - in one season.
Dick is an excellent team man. He's willing to be a reserve infielder and he doesn't gripe about not playing every day, much as he would like to play every day. In the off-season, he works in the public relations department of the state of Florida. He's also an able public relations man for the Yankees. When he was disabled last season, Dick stayed in New York and, despite the cast on his arm, made many personal appearances on behalf of the club at charity events.
Now fully recovered, Howser is an invaluable utility man and a highly effective pinch hitter.
Dick, who was an All-American in baseball at Florida State, lives in Tallahassee and is the father of three-year-old twin girls."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Howser was the  Yankees' top utility infielder in 1967, filling in at second, third and short. He hit .313 in the eight games he subbed for Horace Clarke in early May. His season was cut short due to a fracture of his right forearm on July 16 which kept him out for just about the remainder of the year.
Named the American League Rookie of the Year by the Sporting News in 1961, this diminutive performer holds the American League record for most games played by a shortstop (162 in 1964). Dick had 37 stolen bases with Kansas City in 1961.
Dick moved to the capital city of Florida, Tallahassee, this past off-season in his new winter occupation in the Public Relations Department of the Sunshine State."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


FRANK FERNANDEZ
"Fernandez has the perfect build for a catcher. Six foot one and 195 pounds, he's big, rugged and fast, and his powerful arm is accurate. He aims to share the catching duties with Jake Gibbs. It has taken Frank six years to get the chance, but this year he's going after it with a vengeance.
The local boy from Staten Island, who was All-City in baseball and football at Curtis High before he went to Villanova on a basketball scholarship, has had a couple of tough breaks. After working his way up with farm clubs, Frank had an impressive '66 season with Toledo (hitting .260 and leading the club with 23 homers) and was scheduled to come up to the Yankees for the final month to catch.
But a fractured bone in his right knee wiped out that chance. It also delayed his Army duty until the spring of '67 and he was away until mid-June. He found himself far behind and was slowed up by weekends spent in service. He played nine games as a Yankee last year, got a hit in his first time at bat in the majors, drove in four runs, hit his first big league homer and batted .214.


-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook


Long known for his receiving ability and throwing arm, Frank's only deterrent to the big leagues has been his hitting, yet in his last complete season, 1966 (he was in the Army for most of 1967), he raised his average to .260 at Toledo and displayed power by hitting 23 home runs. He also got a hit in his first major league at-bat last year, which he lists as his outstanding baseball experience to date.
Frank played winter ball this past off-season."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


ELISEO RODRIGUEZ
"A product of the New York City sandlots (Central Park), catcher Ellie Rodriguez was drafted at 18 from the Athletics organization. Born in Puerto Rico, Rodriguez grew up in the Bronx and as a high school student was a promising amateur boxer.
Although only 21, Ellie has played four years of organized baseball. Defensively he has shown remarkable development; he is excellent at digging the low ball out of the dirt.
Rodriguez is married, has a daughter, Ellie (1), and plays winter ball in Puerto Rico. If he doesn't stay with the club all year, it will only be because Ralph Houk wants to send him out for experience. He is certainly a Yankee of the future."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"A product of the New York sandlots, Rodriguez was drafted by the Yankees from the Athletics organization in 1964. He has played four years of Organized Baseball and is still only 21 years old. He has improved steadily.
Eliseo is a very capable receiver with a good arm and is very agile. A fine defensive catcher, he has shown promise with the bat. He's a well-built wiry lad who has had some amateur boxing experience."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


ANDY KOSCO
"Highly rated by several major league clubs, the Yankees made Andy Kosco their first choice in the draft at last winter's meetings.
Originally signed to a big bonus contract with Detroit in 1959, Kosco joined the Minnesota Twins organization in '64 as a switch-hitter, but when he went strictly right-handed that year he won a minor league Triple Crown. In his last three years of playing as a regular he has hit .346, .327 and .297, with home run totals of 28, 27 and 13. Andy has had some experience at first base and third.
They say that if Kosco plays regularly he hits.
Only 26, and with nine years of professional experience, Andy has a lot of family motivation back in Struthers, Ohio - Renee (5), Cheri (4), Andrew (3) and Bryn Thomas (1)."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Andy began last season with the Twins, then was sent to Denver on May 16. On October 19 he was sold to Vancouver, the A's triple-A farm club. The Yankees drafted him off the Vancouver roster during the major league draft meetings in November 1967.
Originally signed by Detroit to a big bonus in 1959, Kosco joined the Twins organization in 1964 as a switch-hitter. He began to hit strictly right-handed on the advice of his manager at Duluth-Bismarck, Vern Morgan. As a result, he won the Triple Crown that year and has fared well ever since.
In his last three years of playing as a regular, Andy has hit .346, .327 and .297, with home run totals of 28, 27 and 13. He has seen some action at first base."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide

HANDY ANDY KOSCO
"One of the Yankees' leading hitters in spring training was 6'3", 210-pound Andy Kosco, drafted from the Athletics last winter. The ex-Minnesota Twin, a former triple crown winner in the minors, has power as well as versatility. He is an outfielder by trade, but does a fine job at first base, too. He'll see a lot of action at Yankee Stadium this summer."

-The 1968 New York Yankees Scorecard and Official Program

NEEDLE IN THE HAYSTACK Yankees Dig Up Buried Treasure in Andy Kosco
"Finding a cleanup hitter in the minor league draft these days of anemic batting is like fishing through a subway grating for a diamond ring. It can't be done, so they say, but the Yankees apparently have done it.
Gracing their batting order in the No. 4 slot is Andy Kosco, a solid meet-the-ball-on-the-nose guy who was buried in the minors for eight seasons until Lee MacPhail put in a bid for him last winter and got him at the draft price of $25,000.
Kosco looks like a hitter and is. He's tall- six-three- rangy, wastes no time fiddling around the plate, has a keen eye, a sound swing and supreme confidence. When one-third of the 1968 campaign had gone by he led the one-time Bombers in RBIs and hits and was tied with Mickey Mantle in homers. He covers Roger Maris's old right field territory with grace and surety. He's the needle in the draft haystack that Ralph Houk found without half trying.
Yet the Tigers, Twins and Oakland A's of Charles O. Finley let him slip through their fingers as his options ran out and he became a pick-up for the hit-hungry Yanks.
Why these errors of omission should have occurred was due to the square thinking on the part of his previous employers. Andy was a schoolboy whiz in his native Youngstown, Ohio. He received a $45,000 bouns [from the Tigers] when he was a mere
There are assorted morals in this: the Tigers' failure to train him properly, the Twins' inability to find a place for him in their set lineup; and one of those Finley blunders which can't be analyzed.
'My pop started out in the Youngstown steel mills,' says this articulate, handsome young man. All this is said with modesty and acknowledgement for the help he received from his father and his twin brothers, Bob and Bill. 'Pop worked hard pitching to me every day. Bob and Bill, who are two years older than me, helped me tremendously. They were pretty good players but never tried to go pro. I made the school basketball and football teams, played ball around the clock and around the calendar. In my senior year I was offered 40 scholarships in basketball and 27 in football. But the Tigers came along and offered me that big bonus. I took it and split it four ways, between Dad, my brothers and myself.
'I took it because of the advice of Chuck Perazich, a local Serbian who was a part-time scout and a good friend. He got Cy Williams, the Tiger area scout, to come to Struthers and tie me down with a contract.'
And so Andy Kosco's eight-year ordeal in the minors began.
That summer of 1959 he was ordered to report to the Tigers. 'There's no percentage in taking batting practice and then sitting on the bench. After 30 days I asked to be sent somewhere where I could play. I spent the rest of the season with Decatur in the Mid-State League. Didn't do bad and had a pretty good 1960 in the Carolina League with the Durham club. They pegged me into Knoxville in the Sally League in 1961, and by 1962 I had a .284 year there. So they shipped me to Triple-A Syracuse to open the 1963 season. After about 15 at-bats they decided to send me back to Knoxville.
'I'd gotten married the previous year to Cathy Huzicko, whom I'd gone around with in school. On my way south from Syracuse I stopped over in Struthers because my baby girl was ill and I wanted to make sure she had the right medical attention. The result was I was suspended and only got into 27 games at Knoxville.'
Andy was tagged as a 'bad boy' because of this breakdown in communication. His hitting suffered; he was shifted to Amarillo in the Texas League and was at a career low with .212. In 1964 he began the season with Duluth in the Northern League- and the Tigers cut him loose.
'I didn't know why,' he says. 'I was switch-hitting then. I played 30 games with Duluth. I was hitting .285, had 28 RBIs and five home runs. Before I knew what was happening I was sent to Bismarck in the same league, a Minnesota outlet, and there I met a miracle man, Vern Morgan.
'Vern was my manager at Bismarck. He looked me over and started talking to me. I had natural ability as a hitter and had been meeting the ball well. But I was actually undercutting it and driving it toward center field where my fly balls would be caught.
'He told me to bat only from the right side. He told me merely to meet the ball and not try to hit it out of the lot. He told me to pull instead of hitting straightaway. Pretty soon I was leading the league in all departments, total hits, doubles, homers and average, which was .346.
'And so I found myself with Denver in 1965- and with Cal Ermer. He's ... well, he's a great guy. Some people can tell you how to improve yourself with the bat and the glove. Cal does it mentally, too. He told me to prepare myself for the big leagues. He gave me that extra dive to keep me on my toes at all times. He's just like Ralph Houk. You'd run through a wall for both of those guys.'
Andy ran through the high wall of the minors and into the majors in 1966. He became a Minnesota Twin. 'But I sat on the bench most of the season. How could break into an outfield of Bob Allison, Jimmie Hall and Tony Oliva? I could only rest them a day or two or pinch-hit. I wound up with a .222 average and was back in Denver last year. I got in the hitting again for .297.
'But the Twins had no regular place for me. It wasn't like the Yanks; Ralph utilizes his bench to keep everyone in trim. The Twins had a set team, the same every day. With an outfield of Allison, Oliva and Ted Uhlaender, where could I play? I was with the Twins until cutdown day, then sent back to Denver. My options were up. They couldn't recall me. My case was like that of many minor league players who are every bit as good as many in the majors but get lost in the shuffle.'
Minnesota sold Andy to the A's, who put him on their Vancouver AAA farm team. The Yankees, in the market for a right-handed hitter, had talked but had failed to complete a deal for him. 'I don't know what happened to me in the A's front office. Maybe during the shift from Kansas City to Oakland they forgot about me. Or it can be that Finley refused to bring me up on the theory that I would take a spot away from a younger man on their 40-man roster. After all, I was only 25 last year and the A's kids could only have been two or three years younger.
'I really don't know what happened. I never met Finley. He never sat down and talked to me. I was just overlooked in his paperwork.'
And that's how Andy became a Yankee.
It was the bench for Andy as 1968 began, but he made the most of his opportunities, going three-for-six in pinch-hitting attempts. Then on April 28 he found himself in right field, old Ruthville and more recently the preserve of Roger Maris. In his first game as a regular he looked like the Babe and the Rajah combined. He swung and the ball rocketed high in the left field upper stand for a no-kidding home run. In his next game he also homered.
As May wore on it was obvious that the Yanks had found a gem as well as a needle in the haystack. He helped crush the Red Sox, 11-3, in a three-for-five day on which he homered, doubled and singled. Against Washington's Joe Coleman he saved the Yanks from a shutout by screaming a scorching drive in to the center field bleachers. His RBIs piled up. His confidence soared.
He had made it at long last.
Now let's listen to the guy.
'I go in streaks. If I'm hitting the ball real good I get anxious if they're not giving me anything good to hit, and I start swinging at bad balls. Last night was the first time I faced Jim Kaat. I'd stood up there and watched him throw when he was warming up. His breaking ball was real good. But he threw the ball past me when I was looking for a fastball, and I usually murder fastballs. Thanks to luck I hit him one-for-three.
'It's been a long row to shore. I've been around a long time. I've watched a lot of Yankee teams and I know the kind of guy they latch onto. I'd better be that kind.
'My wife's a Slovak like me, except my mother's Italian, like half the people in Struthers. We've got four kids, Renee and Sherry, and Andrew the Fifth and Brian.'
What's this business about 'Andy the Fifth?'
'It's the fifth generation of Andrew Koscos. He'll keep up the name!'
But there've been problems, the usual problems of many married couples in baseball. 'We've had a hard time finding a house- and we need a house for the four little ones. Cathy and the kids have been with me wherever I've gone. I've got to have them with me to be a good ball player.
'My mom is here with her- we've just rented a house in Hackensack. Our house in Struthers is vacant. This has been the longest time we've ever been separated, but it's over now. Cathy usually drove to wherever I've been located and we've always found a place at once. But around this New York it's not so easy.'
Nothing has been easy for Andy until now. 'The Yanks were thinking about me as soon as they signed me. Lee MacPhail wrote me a fine letter, asking me if I could play first base, too. So last winter in the Puerto Rican league I played some 30 games at that position. When I reported for spring training Ralph Houk worked me out there, saying he might need someone to spell Mickey Mantle later on. I was elated.
'It's been the same in other things. I've been going to Youngstown University when I could and just completed my undergraduate work. Now I'll be able to go on and try for a law degree.
'I've had some good breaks. Getting help and a level swing from Vern Morgan was the biggest one in baseball. I still write him for advice when I go into a slump. My biggest break's been getting on the Yankees and having an understanding manager like Ralph Houk.'
In other words, you can't keep a good man down or hide a sharp needle forever."

-Charles Dexter (Baseball Digest, August 1968)


GENE MICHAEL
"Shortstop Gene Michael had eight years in the minors with the Pirates organization before being purchased by the Dodgers last year. A switch-hitter who hit .289 in '66 with Columbus of the International League, Michael is from Kent, Ohio. A Kent State basketball star who was pursued by the New York Knicks, 'Stick' Michael (6 foot 2) is an excellent fielder.
Gene is 29, has a Bachelor's degree in education and teaches during the off-season. He is married and has a daughter, Sandi (7), and two boys, Mark (5) and Matthew (2).
Gene was acquired by the Yankees last winter from the Dodgers."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Gene was obtained from the Dodgers during the winter meeting of 1967. Nicknamed 'Stick' due to his long, lanky appearance, he spent eight years in the minor leagues in the Pittsburgh organization. He is considered a fine fielding shortstop.
He has had trouble with the bat, although he did hit .289 at Columbus in 1966 and was named the International League's All-Star shortstop. Stick tried his hand at pitching in 1963 while at Kinston; he appeared in 16 games and had a 1-3 record.
Gene was a basketball star at Kent State and was pursued by the New York Knicks. A product of American Legion ball, he has a B.S. degree in education and is a teacher during the off-season."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


BOBBY COX
"The dark horse in camp this spring was Bob Cox, a contender for Charley Smith's job at third base. When he was acquired by the Yankees from the Atlanta Braves last winter, baseball writers asked, 'If he's so good, where was he all these years?'
Cox spent eight years in the minors. Injuries and illness set him back and when he developed arm trouble he had position problems. He was shifted to second, shortstop and the outfield before returning to his normal spot, third base.
Last year, Cox arrived at the Braves' farm club, Richmond, looking for a job. There was no room for him with the Braves with Clete Boyer, the former Yankee, at third. But Cox has perseverance and the quality that works wonders - desire - and he won a job at the hot corner. He hit .297 in 99 games and had 14 homers and 51 RBIs as Richmond's Most Valuable Player. Richmond, which had been considered a 'nothing' club, came from nowhere to win the International League pennant.
Cox, who's 26 and lives in Selma, California, is the father of four children, Deborah (4), Bobby (3), Connie (2) and Randy (1).
Bob is a hustler with a strong arm and a good bat. He has good power and hits a long ball more often than you would expect from a man his size. Bob spent last winter in the Venezuelan League where he was a standout as a power hitter."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Cox was acquired by the Yankees in November 1967 from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for left-handed pitcher Dale Roberts and catcher Bob Tillman. He had his best year in baseball in 1967 with Richmond. Cox was inserted into the lineup at third base and led the club to the International League pennant.
Considered a good hitting prospect throughout his minor league career, Bobby had position problems. Due to a sore arm he was switched to second base, shortstop and the outfield for a while before finally returning to his normal spot, third base, on a regular basis last year. Bobby responded with a .297 average, 14 homers and 51 RBIs.
In contention for the hot corner spot on the Yankees this year, Bobby starred in the Venezuelan League this past winter."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


STAN BAHNSEN
"Young Stan Bahnsen can be the Yankees' surprise pitcher of the year. He's only 23 and right arm is overpowering, but he needs major league experience.
Selected by the Yankees in the free agent draft in June 1965, when he had completed his freshman year at the University of Nebraska, Bahnsen was elevated to the major league roster and almost made the club at Fort Lauderdale in '67. Pressing too hard, he lost his control. With Triple-A Toledo in 1966, he hurled a no-hitter as he beat Richmond 1-0. Brought up that September, he faced the Red Sox in Fenway Park and struck out the first four men he faced in major league pitching.
Although his won-lost record was only 9-11 with Syracuse last year, Bahnsen turned in a perfect game against Buffalo. With Syracuse, he had 115 strikeouts in 138 innings.
Stan, who's single, is from Council Bluffs, Iowa and has played less than three years of professional baseball. When that terrific fastball is combined with poise and savvy, the Yankees may well have another Stottlemyre."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Stan spent last winter in the Army. He is one of the top pitching prospects in the Yankee organization. An exceptional fastball with a better than average curve are his credentials for this high rating.
He was the Yankees' 4th selection in the 1965 free agent draft and has completed one year at the University of Nebraska. Stan was brought up by the Yankees from Toledo in September 1966 and struck out the side in his first inning of major league pitching when he faced the Red Sox on September 9 at Fenway Park.
Stan has hurled two no-hitters in his two and a half year career, one on July 17, 1966 while with Toledo, the other a perfect seven-inning game last year on July 9 while with Syracuse."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


FRED TALBOT
"At 26, rugged, aggressive Fred Talbot has his best years ahead of him. The big, 208-pound hurler is no junk man; he's a thrower who overpowers hitters. Fred's problem in the past has been that his fierce determination to win often boiled over in temper when he let batters get to him. But he's learning to make his desire work for him. Throughout the winter, Fred studied the Yankees' charts of opposing hitters and a wiser, more mature Talbot is on the mound this season.
An all-around athlete at Fairfax High School in Arlington, Virginia, Talbot was a much sought after running and linebacker. But Little League, Babe Ruth and American Legion ball had made baseball his first love and he accepted a substantial bonus from the Chicago White Sox. After five years in the minors, he reached the majors with Chicago, was traded to Kansas City in 1965 and came to the Yankees in '66.
Fred helps himself with the bat; he hit his first major league home run last year and was successful in three of four sacrifice attempts. A line drive that hit him on the right wrist on August 8 didn't help his '67 pitching record. His W-L was 5-4 at the time, but shortly after this he lost his spot in the regular rotation.
Fred lives in Falls Church, Virginia, is the father of two children, Fred, Jr.(5) and Valerie (1), and is learning the building business. When he retires, he plans to be a Virginia home builder."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"A tough, hard-throwing competitor, Talbot still has his best years ahead of him.
He was an all-around athlete at Fairfax High School in Arlington, Virginia as he lettered in three sports- baseball, football and basketball. He received many college scholarship offers for football, his positions being running back and linebacker. Baseball is Talbot's first love, however, and when he received a substantial bonus offer from the Chicago White Sox, he accepted.
Fred reached the big leagues with that club after five years in the minors. He was traded to the A's in February 1965 and came to the Yankees in June 1966 along with catcher Bill Bryan in exchange for outfielder Roger Repoz and pitchers Bill Stafford and Gil Blanco.
His off-season activities include hunting and fishing, and he is also studying the building business. He plans to build homes in Virginia when his baseball career has ended.
Fred helps himself with the bat. He hit his first major league home run last year and was successful in three of four sacrifice attempts. One of the problems that beset his pitching record in '67 was a line drive that him on right wrist on August 8. Fred was 5-4 at the time."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


STEVE BARBER
"When the Yankees obtained Steve Barber last summer, they got themselves a pitcher of consummate skill and a luckless history. For eight years now, Steve has been one of the better left-handers in the league - when he hasn't been plagued by arm miseries. His effectiveness is reflected in the 18-12 and 20-13 records he compiled in 1961 and '63, respectively; but his career is spotted with 9-6 and 9-13 marks, too, owing to assorted ailments.
But Steve perhaps hit a new low in luck last year when he pitched a no-hitter for the Orioles and lost the game. Then he went AWOL from the club for a day because he had the blues. And shortly after that, he was dealt to the Yankees, with whom he wound up a 10-18 campaign. The Yankees like to think the move means a change in luck for Steve - all for the good.

Jack Zanger, Major League Baseball 1968

"An established major league left-handed pitcher, Steve Barber at 29 has already amassed more than 100 major league victories. The Yankees acquired him from the Baltimore Orioles on July 4, 1967.
Signed by the Orioles when he was 18, he was in the major leagues to stay when he was 21. He was better than a .500 pitcher from the start. In his first two years, his won-lost records were 10-7 and 18-12. He had an off year of 9-6 but followed it with a record of 20-13.
Barber got off to the best start of his career in '66 with a 10-3 record the first half of the season and was named to the All-Star team. Arm trouble kept him out of that game and plagued him the rest of that year. He pitched only 14 innings in the last half. The long layoff affected his control and the Orioles apparently gave up on him. But Lee MacPhail, who was president of the Orioles when Steve was one of the top left-handers, was willing to gamble that he could regain his form.
Along with other Yankee pitchers, Steve was the victim of one-run games; he lost six of them. But the arm that helped the Orioles win the pennant belongs to a man who's only 29; when it's in good health and under control, it overwhelms batters.
Steve's most memorable game was April 30, 1967, when he pitched a no-hitter against the Tigers but lost when walks, a sacrifice, a wild pitch, a walk and an error gave Detroit two runs in the ninth.
Barber isn't superstitious; he's one of the few players who wore No. 13, but he discarded it when he joined the Yankees. Steve, who's well-liked by his teammates, is married and now makes his home in Fort Lee, New Jersey."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Steve came to the Yankees last year on July 4th after ten years in the Baltimore organization. The Yankees gave the Orioles cash, Ray Barker and two minor league infielders, Chet Trail and Joe Brady, in order to obtain Steve.
Just two years ago this veteran left-hander got off to the best start of his career when in 1966 he compiled a 10-3 record for the first half of the season. He then developed tendinitis in his left elbow and appeared in only seven games during the last half of that year. Steve has had his arm troubles since.
1967 found his arm recovered and strong, as he started in regular rotation, but he could not find the plate as he had allowed 61 walks in 74 innings at the time the Orioles dealt him to the Yankees. Steve's most memorable game was on April 30, 1967, when he hurled 8.2 innings and combined with Stu Miller in losing a 2-1 no-hitter to the Tigers. Six of his eighteen losses last year were by one run.
One of the few players to wear No. 13, Steve discarded it upon joining the Yankees. His lifetime win total [101] is second highest in the American League among active left-handers- Jim Kaat has 114."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


ROY WHITE
"After being named the outstanding rookie in the '66 camp and sticking with the club the whole year, Roy White failed to make it back to Yankee Stadium in the spring of '67.
'Go out and make us call you back.'
Many players have had that pat on the back as they packed their bag for a return to the farm, but to Roy it was a solid gold invitation. Optioned to the Dodgers' Spokane club in the deal that brought John Kennedy to the Yankees, White did nothing but hit, hit, hit - .343 in 84 games to lead the Pacific Coast League - and by July 17 the invitation had arrived.
White joined the team in Cleveland and immediately took over at third for injured Dick Howser. Roy, who had been a second baseman and an outfielder, felt strange and uncomfortable at the new position but served the team well as a utility player and pinch hitter. He stole 10 bases; in '66 he led the club in stolen bases with 14.
Roy has fine power for a medium-size athlete, but in attempting to be a power hitter to help the club score runs, he changed his style. At one point in his first year in the majors, he led the club with six homers.
'I know now that I'm not a home run hitter,' says White, whose idol is Mickey Mantle. 'I ruined myself trying. I'm back to my old style and I'll help the club by getting my share of hits doing what comes naturally.'
What comes naturally to the switch-hitter is a smooth, graceful swing, laying down a bunt, making the big steal, and hitting in the pinches. Roy, who's only 24, may make it with that. In '65 his 'old style' gave him a .333 batting average.
Roy has had his problems on defense, but as a switch-hitter and a fast man on the bases, he has assets that can add depth to the Yankee outfield."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"The phrase 'go out and make us call you back' certainly applied to Roy White last year. After being named the outstanding rookie in the Yankee spring training camp of 1966 and sticking with the club the whole year, he failed to make the trip north in 1967. He was optioned to Spokane on April 3 in the deal which brought John Kennedy to the Yankees.
All White did was hit .343 in 84 games at Spokane. Indeed, the Yankees recalled him on July 17. He served as a utility player, filling in at third base and the outfield while also pinch-hitting.
He had 10 stolen bases last year and led the club in that department in 1966 with 14. He was named MVP in the Southern League while at Columbus in 1965. Roy has always been an offensive threat- he is a capable bunter, a switch-hitter who is fast and has some power.
A second baseman all through his minor league career, Roy has not been able to land a regular spot in the Yankee lineup as yet. He proved last year, however, that he is not easily dismayed."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


CHARLEY SMITH
"Acquired from the Cardinals in exchange for Roger Maris in '66, Charley Smith showed himself an aggressive defensive player in spring training and clinched the third base job. To do it, he had fight off the competition of rookie Mike Ferraro. The contest sharpened his hustle.
This year the battle for Smith's job started before he could get into the fight. Charley injured his right knee in January while carrying a case of rifle shells in his sporting goods store in Sparks, Nevada. He underwent surgery for removal of cartilage and the operation sidelined him for three months.
As this went to press, Smith seemed destined for a late start and the job of displacing a newcomer at third. But Charley may have a quick recovery; he has power and he can be a spectacular defensive player."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Acquired by the Yankees from the Cardinals in exchange for Roger Maris in December 1966, Charley had a fine spring training last year and cinched the third base job, only to come up with a slight shoulder separation which kept him out for 10 days early in the season.
He has a good arm, fields well, has power, and at times has shown potential with the bat. Charley began his career as a shortstop in the Dodger organization.
Charley works in a sporting goods store during the off-season. It was where he injured his right knee lifting a case of gun shells [this past off-season]. He underwent surgery on January 18 to remove cartilage from the inside area of the knee. Recovery estimates were three months."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JOE VERBANIC
"You are the bullpen ace of the San Diego Padres and the ball is doing what you want. From Little League and Pony League days through semi-pro, you've felt the arm getting stronger. After five years in the minors, you're waiting to be called up by Philadelphia. When it happens, you are traded to the Yankees for Pete Ramos. In camp at Fort Lauderdale, the ball is really moving for you. And then they hit you - with the word that you have been cut and are going down to Triple-A Syracuse. You take it hard, but there's only one thing to do: pitch your way back.
That's where Joe Verbanic found himself last spring. It taught him a great lesson - that he COULD pitch his way out. It's the solid thing you need going for you when you're coming in from the bullpen.
Recalled to Yankee Stadium when Whitey Ford retired, Verbanic won three of his first four starts - one of them a four-hit shutout over Washington. Joe's season was interrupted by military obligations, but he showed enough to prove to the Yankees that they had a real competitor who could be a starter and an excellent low-ball relief pitcher.
At 25, Joe is determined to be one of the young players who'll shape the Yankees' future. Married, he lives in Eugene, Oregon."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Joe displayed his competitive desire and spirit last year when he suffered the disappointment of not surviving the spring training cut after being acquired from the Phillies during the winter of 1967 for Pedro Ramos. He took the news hard but pitched his way back to Yankee Stadium.
Recalled in June when Whitey Ford retired, Joe took advantage of his opportunity as he won three of his first four starts, one of them being a 4-hit shutout over Washington. He showed his versatility by hurling effectively as both a starter and a reliever. His season was interrupted by military obligations.
Of Croatian descent, Joe was a car salesman during the off-season besides hunting and fishing as often as he found time."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JIM FINK (Military Service in 1968)
"Tabbed a pitching prospect for the future, this tall right-hander was inducted into the Army on October 28, 1966. Fink is scheduled to be released around that date in 1968.
His 2.21 ERA was sixth in the Carolina League in 1966 and his total of 14 complete games was fourth."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JERRY KENNEY (Military Service in 1968)
"One of the major disappointments for the Yankees this year is that Jerry Kenney will not be with them. He was inducted into the Navy during the off-season.
Jerry was brought up to the Yankees from Syracuse last September 4. He proved his minor league hitting record was no fluke as he hit .310 in 20 games and handled himself quite adequately in the field. Jerry has never hit under .290 in his four-year professional career.
One of the bright spots of the Yankee future, he got off to a slow start with Syracuse last year, hitting about .200 through May, yet still wound up with a .294 mark."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


BOBBY MURCER (Military Service in 1968)
"Bobby was inducted to the Army for two years early in spring training of 1967. He is scheduled to be released from military duty in time for the 1969 season.
Considered one of the top prospects in the Yankee organization, Bobby has a very strong arm and is a good hitter with some power. Along with his fine batting averages in the minor leagues, he hit 16 and 15 home runs in his first two full seasons of Organized Baseball. He was signed by Yankee scout Tom Greenwade."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


BILL MONBOUQUETTE
"In the spring of '67, Bill Monbouquette had something no one seemed to want - experience. Given his unconditional release by the Detroit Tigers, the former ace of the Red Sox was asking clubs for a chance. But he had nine major league seasons behind him. When they think you're over the hill, they're friendly, but they don't sign you. The Yankees signed Monbo on May 31.
'I knew the Yankees needed someone for long relief and spot starts,' he says, 'and I knew I could prove myself to be the man they wanted.'
He did - with a fine ERA of 2.36 in 133 innings, a 6-5 W-L record, and a three-hit shutout. His control was superb and at one point he hurled 53 innings without a walk. Of the 17 walks allowed last year, seven were intentional.
With the Red Sox, Bill won 20 games in '63, and on August 2, 1962, pitched a no-hitter against Chicago, with only one runner reaching first on a walk. When he was a Red Sox, Monbouquette was one of the hardest pitchers for Mantle to hit.
Although a major league veteran, Monbo is only 31, a great competitor in top physical condition. In the off-season, he keeps in shape by playing hockey (he works out with the Bruins), hunting and fishing. Bill lives in West Medford, Massachusetts and is the father of a boy, Marc (2)."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"This veteran of ten years in the American League has proved a valuable addition for the Yankees. The Yankees signed him last May 31 after he was given his unconditional release by the Detroit Tigers earlier in the season.
Bill was originally signed by the Red Sox and pitched for them for eight consecutive seasons, and was the ace of their staff for a major part of that time. He hurled a near perfect game against Chicago on August 1, 1962, with only one runner reaching first base, via a walk. Monbo won 20 games in 1963, becoming Boston's first 20-game winner in ten years.
He showed a touch of his old mastery with the Yankees last year in posting a fine ERA of 2.36 in 133 innings pitched. His control was excellent- at one point he hurled 53 innings without allowing an unintentional walk.
Bill's activities off the field include selling insurance and serving as vice-president of D.C. Industries, which deals in selling and cleaning rugs and drapes."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JIM BOUTON
"Bulldog Bouton, as the nickname implies, is tenacious. Never known to let up or quit, Jim proved it last year when he was sent back to the minors on May 31 after six seasons in the majors.
With Syracuse, the Bulldog fought back. His ERA had been 6.27 when the club optioned him; with the Chiefs, he lowered it to 3.33, and by August 16 he was back with the Yankees.
In the second game of a twi-night doubleheader against the Red Sox on August 29, Jim chalked up a big win as he hurled five scoreless innings in a game the Yankees took 4-3 in 20 innings. He suffered a setback only once (when he allowed five runs in two innings to the Red Sox) in nine appearances after his return. Without that one bad game, Jim showed a 1.88 ERA in his last 24 innings.
Bouton was the winning pitcher of the longest game in the American League (7 hours, 22 innings, Detroit, June 24, 1962); won 21 and pitched the pennant-clincher in '63; led the Yankees in wins (18) and innings pitched (271) in '64; and had an ERA of 1.66 for the last half of the '66 season.
Jim is intelligent and imaginative. Instead of brooding about his three bad years, he worked to regain his form. When he finished strong at the end of the season, he set up a three-nights-a-week schedule and worked out all winter with a catcher at Farleigh-Dickinson University so he wouldn't have to build up his arm in spring training.
Bouton is a man of many interests and talents. As an artist, he has exhibited his oils, water colors, charcoals and ceramics. He makes jewelry, is an entertaining public speaker, a licensed real estate broker - and has written a story for a national publication titled 'A Return to the Minors.'
Jim is smart; he knows the Yankees can continue to carry him on the roster only if he can regain his winning form. So he's writing another story, 'A Return to the Majors.' This one will be done on the mound."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Jim is on the comeback trail. Arm trouble plagued him occasionally during the last three years.
He was sent down to Syracuse last May 31 after nearly six years in the majors. He was recalled by the Yankees on August 16. In ten appearances with the Yankees late in the season, Jim was ineffective only once.
His first three years in the majors were notable. Jim hurled a 7-hit shutout in his first major league start on May 6, 1962 against Washington. That same year he was the winning pitcher of the longest game in American League history (7:00, 22 innings) at Detroit on June 24. The next two years he was 21-7 and 18-13.
Jim attended Western Michigan University for three years, the Pohs Institute of New York for a real estate license and, this past winter, Farleigh Dickinson University. A man of many interests and talents, he is adept at water coloring, after dinner speaking, mimicry and jewelry making. His first love, however, is pitching.
His nickname is 'Bulldog.'"

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


MIKE HEGAN
"As anyone who has swung a bat knows, you have to play regularly to keep your batting eye. That can be a problem when you're a first baseman and Mickey Mantle is in good health. Mike Hegan is used as a replacement for Mantle and occasionally in right field.
The former Holy Cross baseball and football star hit well in his first two minor league seasons - .306 at Ft. Lauderdale in 1962 and .323 at Idaho Falls in '63. If he can approach this as a backup man he will have everything going because he is considered by many to the best fielding first baseman in the league. Hegan also runs well; he was thrown out stealing only once in eight attempts.
Mike, who's the son of Yankee bullpen coach and former All-Star catcher Jim Hegan, had a lot going for him in a game against Washington last September. In the 11th inning, he hit his first major league homer - and it was a 2-1 victory for the Yankees."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"This former baseball and football star at the College of the Holy Cross is said by many to be the best fielding first baseman in the major leagues. If Mike returns to the form of his first two years in baseball when he hit .306 at Ft. Lauderdale in 1962 and .323 at Idaho Falls in 1963, the Yankees will definitely have a star on their hands, as he excels in every other phase of the game.
Mike runs well and was thrown out stealing only once in eight attempts. He was used on occasion in right field last year. Mike hit his first major league homer last year at a timely moment- in the 11th inning of a game against Washington on September 1 for the winning blow of a 2-1 victory.
He is the son of Yankees bullpen coach and former All-Star major league catcher Jim Hegan."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


ROSS MOSCHITTO
"Considered a fine defensive outfielder, Ross had a very impressive first year in Organized Baseball as he led the Appalachian League in home runs with 20 and hit .293 with Johnson City in 1964. Military obligations and the Yankees' desire to protect him from being drafted by another club impeded his progress.
He's rated a prospect for the Yankee future."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


CHARLIE SANDS
"Drafted by the Yankees from the Baltimore organization in November 1966, Charlie remained with the Yankees all season as a first-year drafted player. He worked the bullpen and at times pitched batting practice.
Charlie is a big, strong, hard worker. He fulfilled his military commitment during the off-season with the Marine Corps."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JOHN BOCCABELLA
"John has been a top utility man for the Cubs the past two years, filling in mostly as a first baseman and catcher. He started 1967 with the Cubs but was sent down to Tacoma on July 17. He was recalled by the Cubs on August 28. Purchased from the Cubs in November 1967, John is on the Syracuse roster.
A graduate of Santa Clara College, John starred in the Pioneer League with Mike Hegan in 1963. Scout Ray Perry, who signed him for the Cubs, now works for the Yankees."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


THAD TILLOTSON
"Acquired from the Dodgers in the Dick Schofield deal in September 1966, Thad was placed on the Syracuse [AAA] roster and invited to camp last year where he won himself a spot on the major league staff. He had a fine spring training and started off well in the regular season, winning his first three decisions.
Thad ran into some tough luck, however, and lost his next nine. He was again placed on the AAA roster after the season.
Thad is an experienced pitcher with eight seasons of professional baseball."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JOHN WYATT
"While it's true the mortality rate of relief pitchers is high, John Wyatt has a rare endurance record. The big-shouldered right-hander has been one of the American League's top rally-stoppers since 1962. Sure, he's had some off years, but each time big John has bounced back.
After spending more than five seasons in Kansas City, he came to the Red Sox in June of 1966; he posted an uninspiring 3-7 record for the campaign, though he did work in 61 games. But last year, the pendulum swung the other way. John turned in a 10-7 record with an ERA of 2.61 in 60 appearances, and he ranked second in the league with 17 saves.
His biggest problem is that he runs into periodic streaks of wildness. His assets are a blazing fastball and a supple arm."

-Jack Zanger, Major League Baseball 1968


MIKE FERRARO
"This seasoned performer is competing for the wide open third base spot on the Yankees. In 1964, Ferraro was the Most Valuable Player in the Florida State League. A right-handed batter, he led the league in hitting with a .317 average.
Mike started last season at Syracuse and was optioned to Spokane on July 18 to replace the recalled Roy White. Mike hit .292 in the Coast League.
Ferraro lives in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and has a daughter, Michele (2)."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"This seasoned performer of six years in Organized Baseball will be in contention for the wide open third base spot on the Yankees.
In 1963 he was MVP of the Florida State League, leading the league in hitting with a .317 average. He started last season at Syracuse and was optioned to Spokane on July 18 to fill their gap at third base which developed when the Yankees recalled Roy White."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


DALE SPIER
"Pitcher Dale Spier (pronounced Spear) was signed by the Giants while in his junior year at Arizona State. After receiving excellent reports on him from the scout who discovered Mel Stottlemyre, the Yankees drafted him last November.
Dale has had only one year of professional baseball, but it was quite a year. The big right-hander hurled for Medford (Oregon) and led the Northwest League with a .846 mark (11-2) and had an ERA of 2.23.
Spier hails from Joliet, Illinois. Married, he attends Arizona State during the off-season and lives in Tempe."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Signed by the Giants while in his junior year at Arizona State, Spier was drafted by the Yankees in November of 1967.
He has had only one year of professional baseball; however, it was quite a year. Spier hurled for Medford in the Northwest League and led in winning percentage with a .846 mark (11-2) and was third lowest in ERA with a 2.23 clip. He was also selected to the All-Star team.
Dale attends Arizona State in the off-season."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


TOM SHOPAY
"This slight (5 foot 9, 160 lbs.) outfielder spent his honeymoon with the Yankees. Married shortly after he finished the season with Syracuse, Shopay (pronounced Show-pay) was brought up by the Yankees last September 16 when Tom Tresh underwent knee surgery. Tom had a happy honeymoon; he hit .296 in eight games and surprised everyone with two homers. One of these drove in the running runs against the Minnesota Twins on September 23. The Twins lost the pennant by one game.
Shopay, who bats left and throws right, showed exceptional speed and the ability to bunt for base hits. Three of his eight base hits were on bunts and he had two stolen bases. In only two and a half years in organized baseball, Tom had rocketed from Class A to the majors. Only 23, he carried a heavy load in college and never had spring training until 1967; he came on fast.
Tom is from Bristol, Connecticut and during the winter attended Suffolk U. in Boston. He played baseball and basketball at Bristol Eastern High, and acquired his early baseball experience in Pony, American Legion and semi-pro ball."

-The New York Yankees Official 1968 Yearbook

"Shopay spent his honeymoon with the Yankees. Married shortly after his season was over with Syracuse, he was brought up to the Yankees on September 16 when Tom Tresh underwent knee surgery. Shopay was impressive, hitting .296 in eight games with two home runs. One of these homers against Minnesota, on September 23, knocked in the winning runs. It was a big defeat for the Twins, who lost the pennant by one game. Aside from his timely hitting, Tom's speed, hustle and ability to bunt for base hits also impressed; three of his eight base hits were via bunts, and he also had two stolen bases.
In the short space of only two and a half years in Organized Baseball, Tom has progressively moved from Class A to the big leagues. Last year was the first time he enjoyed the benefits of spring training, due to his off-season student activities. He has attended two years of Dean Junior College, one year at the University of Bridgeport and the past winter at Suffolk University in Boston.
Tom participated in baseball and basketball at Bristol (Connecticut) Eastern High. He received his early baseball experience in Pony, American Legion and semi-pro leagues near Bristol."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


RICH BECK
"Rich has spent the last two years in the Army. Originally signed by the Yankees, he hurled a seven-inning no-hitter in his first professional appearance at Idaho Falls in 1962.
He was drafted by the Phillies and spent the next two years in their organization. The Yankees reclaimed him in 1965. Rich fostered a 13-7 mark at Columbus, GA and was brought up to the parent club where he was 2-1 in three starts with a complete game."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


BILL BURBACH
"Bill was drafted No. 1 by the Yankees in the first free agent draft of the major leagues in June 1965. At the time he was a big, impressive looking boy of only 17 years of age who could throw hard.
Big Bill has advanced from year-to-year in the Yankee farm system, never taking a step backward. He threw a 10-inning no-hitter in 1966, but had no decision, and had a no-hitter last year, winning 5-0.
Considered a top pitching prospect, Bill attends Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa during the off-season."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


ALAN CLOSTER
"Originally signed by the Yankees, Alan is a graduate of Iowa State. This southpaw was drafted away by Cleveland, then by Washington before finally being returned to the Yankee organization in 1966.
Off to a great start last year, Alan injured his right knee on June 3 and was out for over two months. He still wound up 4-0 and has put together two good years back-to-back. Alan re-injured his knee in a winter workout and had external cartilage removed in New York on February 6. The estimated recovery period is three months."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JOHN CUMBERLAND
"Drafted from the Cardinal organization in November 1966, John jumped from Class A to AAA last year. In spite of limited experience, he fared well.
John is a product of American Legion ball. He led Portland, Maine to the state championship in 1966 as he hurled a 1-hitter and struck out 22 in the title game. John was voted MVP of the tournament."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JOHN ELLIS
"Signed by the Yankees as a free agent in August 1966, this big, strapping lad joined the Ft. Lauderdale club late last season after fulfilling his military obligations.
An outstanding fullback in high school, John had many college offers but chose a baseball career with the Yankees instead. His statistics for 34 games as a novice last year indicate he took the right road. John showed long ball power at Ft. Lauderdale."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


STEVE KLINE
"Steve was a Yankee selection [7th round] in the 1966 free agent draft. A student in the off-season, he attended Washington State for a year and a half, but this year decided to switch to the University of Miami, in Florida, so he could be available for spring training while completing his college semester.
He was captain of both the baseball and basketball teams at Chelan High School in Washington, made All-State in baseball and is a product of American Legion ball. Steve throws hard and needs only experience to reach the major leagues."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JIM LYTTLE
"The Yankees No. 1 selection in the free agent draft of 1966, Jim has been showing rapid development since his first year of pro ball at Ft. Lauderdale. He became acclimated last year at Greensboro and, although jumping to a higher league, raised his average 50 points. He's highly regarded in four categories: running, throwing, fielding and power.
Jim is a student at Florida State and also officiates high school basketball games during the off-season."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


JOE PACTWA
"Well built and powerful, Joe hit 17 homers in his first full year of Organized Baseball last year at Greensboro. At Binghamton in 1966, he hit a grand slam home run. Joe has great desire and is usually the first one at the ballpark.
His hobby is playing the guitar."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


CECIL PERKINS
"Perkins began last season at Syracuse and was brought up by the Yankees on July 4th to fill in during an emergency caused by the sale of Hal Reniff and a military call-up. He was returned to the Chiefs on July 18.
He pitched well for manager Luis Arroyo's Ponce club this past winter until injured by a line drive off his right shin."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


KEN POULSEN
"Ken was drafted by the Yankees in November 1967. He was scouted and originally signed by Joe Stephenson, father of pitcher Jerry Stephenson, and had a brief trial with Boston last summer.
He attends Pierce Junior College in the off-season."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


MICKEY SCOTT
"The Yankees will be anxious to see this young left-hander in action at Ft. Lauderdale. Mickey showed great promise in 1966 with Binghamton when he led the New York-Penn League in wins (15) and strikeouts (190). He spent the past season fulfilling his military obligations.
Born in Germany, Scott came to the United States when he was eight months old. His mother was a German war bride. He was a Yankee selection in the June 1965 free agent draft."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


GEORGE BECHTOLD
"Signed by the Yankees in 1961, George is currently on the Syracuse roster. He jumped from Class A to Class AAA in mid-season in 1967 and had a fine year while developing rapidly.
George has reported late each season while completing spring semesters at Idaho State University."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


LEN BOEHMER
"Purchased from Cincinnati in September 1967, Len is on the Syracuse roster.
A veteran of seven years in the minor leagues, the last three in AAA, Len began his career as a shortstop and led his league in putouts, assists and double plays in his first two full seasons- 1962 at Tampa and 1963 at Rocky Mount. He also made the All-Star team those first two full seasons.
Len was switched to third base the following year at Macon, where he led the Southern League in hitting with a .329 mark and again made the All-Star team. He played third and short this past season at Buffalo.
Len has great desire."

-1968 New York Yankees Press-Radio-TV Guide


No comments:

Post a Comment