Thursday, July 3, 2014

Yankee Stadium Greatest Thrills

EARLE COMBS
"An event which took place on a hot July afternoon in 1927. A doubleheader was being played that day and I was asked to come to the center field bleachers for a presentation. This was before the big 'Days' for sports figures. I was presented with a beautiful watch bought with nickels, dimes and quarters contributed by fans in the bleachers - fans of all races and colors. The watch still runs and I treasure it more each day. Then I was lucky enough to hit one of my not too numerous home runs in the second game."

-Earle Combs, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook


BOBBY BROWN
"In the 7th game of the 1947 World Series against the Dodgers, I pinch-hit for Bill Bevens and doubled home the tying run, and later scored. We went on to beat the Dodgers and I set a pinch-hitting record of four pinch hits. I stood on second base and could see my father throwing his hat in the air, almost hitting the mezzanine."

-Bobby Brown, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook


BOB SHAWKEY
"I had the honor of pitching the first game ever played in Yankee Stadium, going all the way to win it. My second great thrill was to be a member of the 1927 Yankee club, the best of all times during my playing days."

-Bob Shawkey, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook


TOMMY HENRICH
"It happened on the last Sunday in August 1942, at home plate. I had told our manager, Joe McCarthy, that I was to join the Coast Guard and this Sunday would be my last day. In the 7th inning, the PA announcer burst out with, 'May I have your attention ... this will be Tommy Henrich's last appearance in the Yankee uniform for the duration of the war.' Man, how those fans applauded and kept it up, too. After about 10 seconds I put my cap back on and motioned to Dizzy Trout, the Tiger pitcher, to resume the game. And Ol' Dizzy just stood there and said, 'This happens once in a lifetime, Tom, just enjoy it.' Well, I did, and have ever since. Fortunately, I hit a line-drive single to center. What a gentleman Dizzy was, too - he never curved me in six pitches!"

-Tommy Henrich, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook


JOE DIMAGGIO
"The whole 1941 season, when I had the 56-game hitting streak was an outstanding memory, but I had the thrill of equalling the all-time record of 44, held by Willie Keeler (1897), at Yankee Stadium. It was on July 1, 1941 - we played a doubleheader at the Stadium against the Red Sox, with my brother Dom, and I hit safely in both games to run the streak to 44."

-Joe DiMaggio, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook


WHITEY WITT
"I was the first Yankee to walk to the plate at the new Stadium in 1923, leading off the last of the first. We played Boston. It was the beginning of the era of Yankee supremacy, pennants, etc. My biggest thrill was to play in the World Series, though, with our great Babe Ruth, our meal ticket."

-Whitey Witt, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook


TONY KUBEK
"In August 1962, I hit a home run off Camilo Pascual on my first at-bat after returning from service. Umpire Ed Hurley shook my hand at home plate beforehand. The fan reaction was thrilling to me."

-Tony Kubek, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook


MICKEY MANTLE
"It's tough to pick one thing over another with all the great things that happened to me at Yankee Stadium, but I always get a great feeling when I think of the home run off Barney Schultz in the 1964 World Series that gave us a 2-1 win in the last of the 9th over the Cardinals. It was also the homer that broke Babe Ruth's record of 15 in the World Series."

-Mickey Mantle, The New York Yankees Official 1973 Yearbook

No comments:

Post a Comment