Tuesday, September 30, 2014

1977 Profile: Cliff Johnson

"Johnson labored through a disastrous season after leading the club with 20 homers a year earlier. He was handed the catching job in spring training but booted it away in a sea of passed balls and stolen bases. His bat also suffered and he wound up benched.
'I know I had a bad season,' he said afterward. 'But I know I can hit and I know I'm not going to have two years in succession like this one. Born in San Antonio, Texas, Cliff had a string of six home runs in as many games in 1975 but the last one was rained out, costing him a major league record."

-Hal Bock and Bruce Lowitt, The Complete Handbook of Baseball, 1977 Edition

"The Yankees beat the June 15 midnight trading deadline by acquiring slugger Cliff Johnson from the Houston Astros. Cliff gives the Yanks some added right-handed punch in their lineup."

-1977 New York Yankees Scorebook & Official Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment