Friday, July 24, 2015

1984 Profile: Ray Fontenot

"The New York Yankees seem to find them, don't they? Dave Righetti was an unknown quantity when the Yankees traded Sparky Lyle to the Texas Rangers and received (then) minor leaguer Righetti. And how about 'stealing' Andre Robertson from the Toronto Blue Jays? Better still, Ray Fontenot was a 'throw-in' in the deal that sent Mickey Rivers to the Rangers.
Throw-in? When Fontenot battled back from shoulder and delivery problems and proved himself at Columbus, he came up to the Yankees in June of last year- and simply posted an 8-2 record. If he was faster, he would have reminded Yankee fans of another lefty named White Ford, who came up in the summer of 1950 and helped the Yankees win a pennant with nine straight wins.
Fontenot, however, is not fast- and he loves it.
'The big guys like Steve Carlton and Nolan Ryan get themselves psyched up before a game,' the Louisiana-born 26-year-old says, 'so they can throw heat past the hitters. Me, I get myself psyched down. If I get too high, I overthrow, and that is something I can't afford. I have to throw to spots and rely on my sinker. If I had my way, I wouldn't care if I never struck out a batter. I rely on my infielders to field grounders.
'But that doesn't mean I won't throw inside to batters, to keep them honest. I'm not that dumb.'
No, this young man who listens to coaches- and especially to a guy named Ron Guidry- just might be the biggest sleeper the Yankees have ever found."

-The New York Yankees Official 1984 Yearbook

"Fontenot turned in a superlative job as a rookie starter in 1983. He began the season at Columbus where he was used exclusively as a reliever (3-2, 8 saves), was recalled to New York on June 19 and made his major league debut against Baltimore on June 30, filling in for the injured Ron Guidry. Ray won his first major league game in his second start, July 10 at Kansas City, and hurled his first major league shutout on July 26 at Texas. He won four starts in a row before ending his season with a tired arm on September 18.
Originally signed by the Rangers for the 1979 season, Ray was traded to the Yankees in October 1979 to complete the deal for Mickey Rivers. He was plagued by arm problems early in his career.
Fontenot graduated from LaGrange High School in Lake Charles, Louisiana in 1975 and McNeese State University in 1979."

-1984 New York Yankees Information Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment